How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can you tell me if there are any updates on the sex offender

Customer Question

can you tell me if there are any updates on the sex offender laws and or register or the state of texas
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

What do you mean by updates? Do you know what the laws are and have you looked at them? What is your specific question about them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok Someone is telling mt son that the law is changing on internet sex offender.

my son is 21 and has never been in trouble before not even a traffic ticket. and appparently looked @ a video that was child porn and then he went to download his school work which is a shared folder and the video downloaded there also. so they are charging him with the disprobution of child porn. But someone from the inside has told him that they are trying to past a law on child porn on the internet where they will only get the max of 5 years. Ant this is only on case the watch wedios or looked @ pictures on the internet. (never coming in contact with any person. Not hurting anyone but him self) and they would not have to register????

thank you for your help Kay Harris


Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response.

I am afraid that someone is telling you what they wish would happen, but I am afraid that child pornography continues to be a major offense pursued in Texas and even in the federal courts. In fact, most states, including Texas, will present the child pornography case to the US Attorney and give the US Attorney the chance to take the case before the Texas DA will take the case.

I am sorry, but there is absolutely no such truth in what that person is telling you about they will not have to register for this. The laws do not carve out such exemptions the way you are describing and that is someone who is telling you this to try to make you feel better by giving you hope.

This is a second degree felony he is facing under Texas law and it requires lifetime sex offender registration even though he is only 21. There are inmates who come up with all sorts of rumors to try to raise hopes of people, but as of today's date there are no bills proposed or laws passed in Texas to decrease the penalty for child pornography promotion/distribution or possession I am sorry to say.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.