How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118242
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 14 year old son has been arrested for Petty Theft, he has

This answer was rated:

My 14 year old son has been arrested for Petty Theft, he has a court date 2 weeks out, I am not sure if we need an attorney or not- This is in Florida
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Petit theft is a misdemeanor in FL. It is punishable by up to 1 year in juvenile detention (depending on which degree of course, as the lesser degree which is second degree, less than $100, and is punishable by up to 60 days in juvenile). Your son absolutely needs an attorney and the court in FL will not let you as a parent represent him, so he certainly needs an attorney to protect his rights to try to fight this case or at the very least negotiate with the DA, especially if this is a first offense to get a deferred adjudication, which is where the court puts him on probation of about 12 months and if he does not have any violations in that time they will dismiss charges against him, thus giving him a clear record.

In any offense where jail, juvenile detention, and a criminal record is a possible sentence, it is always best to make sure the defendant is represented by an attorney for the very least reason to negotiate the best deal possible for your son if they cannot get the charge dismissed outright.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX of attorney do I need to look for??

Thank you for your response.

You would need a criminal defense attorney and you can find one at the same sites used by other attorneys, or or

Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help

Thank you very much.