Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Issues! My best friend made a big mistake. He cut off his monitor,

he was on parole in...
Issues! My best friend made a big mistake. He cut off his monitor, he was on parole in Texas. He went to Cobb County Georgia and got a DUI and a failure to maintain lane. So two misdemeanors. Plus a fugitive warrant from Texas. He has been city in Cobb county jail for 46 days. He waved his tights and submitted a Pike for guilty . He was arrested in mid may..his court date has been constantly flip flopping from 90 days august 2013. I've called magistrates office, superior court and even have a DA case # XXXXX DA said they don't see his case number XXXXX the system. I have no idea how to help him
. He is sitting there and they tell him nothing. We thought somehow we could try to move his court case sooner so he could be extradited back to Texas sooner. People here say that's not always the case. That it depends when Texas decides to come and get him
. They said it could even be up to a year? Help me please !
7/2/2013
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

I suggest you can go to the court house and speak to the clerk and make sure that he is on the docket for this recent situation in GA. They will be able to tell you when the court date is. Unfortunately, there is no way to rush the court as we are always at the mercy of the docket

Once that hearing is held and determined his guilt or innocence, then the matter will be given to Texas and they can decide when to bring him back - Which, if he has a sentence in GA they will not come for him until it is complete. Then the warrant will kick in.

Now, if his parole was near end, I suggest, you might contact his parole agent in Texas and let them know what is going on and see if he gets a conviction here and a sentence, if the will be willing to recall the warrant - which they might do if the new sentence in GA exceeds the expiration date of his parole

Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law