How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I received a citation for public drunkenness last weekend.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I received a citation for public drunkenness last weekend. I called in the magistrate and they informed me that I was fined 440$. If I pay off the fine, will it go off the record? Or do I need to hire an attorney and plead not guilty?
Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

I will be happy to provide you information but I need to know what state you got this citation, Please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I live in florida and I came to philadelphia for vacation. I received citation in the state of pennsylvania for tresspassing @ community pool where my friends live.

Thank you


It will become a conviction and will be searchable and available on a database. I suggest instead of agreeing to plead guilty and paying the fine, you may want to consider consulting with a PA attorney and see if you can do a diversion program which allows the court to dismiss the charge if you complete their requirements,

That usually is some community service, a fine, and staying out of trouble for a set amount of time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will it show up on my record as a criminal case? I came to US as a student and now working on a work visa. Does it affect my future employment or my immigration status?



It will appear as a Misdemeanor Conviction and because it is not a felony it should not affect your Visa status or ability to stay, re enter and/or work/school


But it will appear as a conviction

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was concerned that it may affect my work status or to reenter the country. Thank you for clarification.


I received the citation on 22nd june but I was asked to call the magistrate office on or after 26th of june. When i called the magistrate office, they said that I have 10 days to respond. So would it be from the day I received the citation or will it be 10 days from 26th of June?



It would have been 10 days from the date of the citation. Unless they specified differently

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. So if I plead not guilty, will that take it off from the record ? What would you suggest me to do?



As I stated you may be able to get it dismissed with a deferred adjudication. That means you are placed on probation and then when that is successfully completed then this matter is dismissed.


I suggest you can either consult with a local attorney or try to see it the DA will work out the plea with you directly



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How can I contact the DA to workout the plea directly? I am here in US for the past 7 years and this is the first time I received a citation. Please bare with me as I have no idea how to take it forward.



That's fine. I am trying my best to give you the information.


There is a DA in every county. So you should look up the phone number for the Office of the District Attorney in the county where you got the citation


Now, they do not have to talk to you. But they might and it is worth a try. Tell them you need to work this out.

Samuel II and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the advice. I will try to reach out to the DA and if not I will talk to a local attorney. If have any questions later, can I get back to you on this?



Yes, you can just post it here if you need more information.


Thank you and good luck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks a lot. Have a good day.



You too.