Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

for first time offenders in the state of florida what are the

guidlines for punishment FOR POSSESION...
for first time offenders in the state of florida what are the guidlines for punishment FOR POSSESION OF MARINUANA LESS THAN 20 GRAMS.
7/1/2013
Roger, Lawyer

Kirk Adams :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Kirk Adams :

Bear with me just a moment while I review the relevant statutes.

Kirk Adams :

Under Florida Criminal Statute §893.13(6)(b), possession of 20 grams or less of marijuana is a First Degree Misdemeanor.

Kirk Adams :

A 1st degree misdemeanor has a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail and a $1000 fine.

Kirk Adams :

That said, jail time is not very likely for a first offense. Instead, you're probably looking at a fine of approximately $500 and probation for 6 months or so.

Kirk Adams :

Understand that jail time is possible - - but it's not very likely.

Kirk Adams :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Roger, Lawyer
Hi - thanks for allowing me to assist you. If the need arises, I'll be glad to answer any additional questions you have regarding this or any other issue. Just let me know.

Mr. Adams,

I have never been arrested before, this is my first offense ever.

What usually happens at at pre-trial conferences?

I received, signed and returned a waiver to appear document, does not being present at my pre-trial conference hurt me in anyway? Why is this document provided?

Can I be sentenced at a pre-trial conference and is it mandatory that I be present when sentencing is passed even if i was given a waiver to appear document from my lawyer?

Are prosecutors and judges known to be lenient on first offenders?

Most of the time, a pre-trial conference is usually just a meeting between the parties and judge to set deadlines for motions, discovery, etc.

If your attorney is going to be there, it should be fine if you are not.

You should not be sentenced at a pre-trial conference as that would not happen until you either reach a plea agreement or go to trial. But, when and if sentencing occurs, you would have to be there for that.

Yes, first time offenders are usually able to get lenient sentences/treatment by the prosecutor and judge.
Roger, Lawyer