How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 30384
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a dancer and I had a customer for about 5 months who I

This answer was rated:

I am a dancer and I had a customer for about 5 months who I was able to hustle alot of money and gifts out of. I finally told him to leave me alone and good bye since I will not be dancing anymore. He got mad and threatened to create a website of me and post inappropriate photos of me on it so I called the police and made a police report, told him and he backed off. I blocked him from Facebook blocked his number, he found a way to message me on fb and said that his wife found out about me and wants a divorce and he got an attorney and said that he going to press charges against me for I guess hustling him? I'm not sure. But I was wondering if he has any stable legal grounds against me?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Can you explain a little more about the details of your relationship? Did you ever promise him anything in exchange for the gifts/money? Did you see him outside of your dancing or have any additional contact? Was there sexual contact involved?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There were no promises, everything he gave me were gifts all the money were gifts. I'm 20 yrs old and he's 51. He said he "loved" me which is why I'm sure it was so easy to get so much out of him. I actually have my own relationship with my boyfriend and go to school and everything. He did take me to dinner 3 times in the span of the 5 months. And would see me at the club whenever he was in town. There was no exchange of sexual acts or anything like that. He even said the first time he saw me at the club, that he wanted to be my sugar daddy.
Nothing you have described is illegal. There is no law that says I can't give money to people if I want to. It would only be illegal if you were trading the money or gifts for sexual favors, which you weren't doing, or if you stole the money from him. It's not stealing to accept a gift. Police typically wouldn't get involved in this sort of scenario without more evidence that you committed a crime.

He could try sue you for conversion, which is the civil equivalent of theft. He'll run into the same issues, though - it's not illegal to accept a gift. If you never promised to repay him, and there's no evidence of fraud (for example, if I said I was collecting money to give to orphaned children, but I kept it), the law doesn't provide a recourse to him.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well for Father's Day he had given me $1000 to get my dad something nice and stuff, I told him If he wants I would give it back and he said no it's fine don't worry about it just forget it. Could that be something? I know he only reason he is doing this is because his wife found out and wants to divorce him so he's trying to build a case. Filling legal action against me I don't see that as helping him with his situation. He is very wealthy and I'm sure had hired the best of the best, XXXXX XXXXX asking around and my friends have said that if you pay enough that lawyers and attorneys can twist nothing into something:/ I'm so nervous and worried and don't know what to do
I'm sure you're correct about his reasons for doing this, but that doesn't have any effect on the income.

I do understand why you're concerned, but it's not illegal to accept a gift. He would need some evidence that the relationship went beyond that. If he says "He's $$$ to do X," and you say "I'm not doing X, do you want the money back?" and he says no, it's a gift to you. He's saying you can keep it. That's not a crime. With a criminal case, the D.A. has to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that someone did something that is illegal - if there isn't any evidence, that can't happen. The D.A. usually wouldn't even get involved in this type of case, even if police referred it, which would also be unusual.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I made the police report against him for him harassing me and threatening me the lady told me to tell him and that he shall not contact me again, but he has, the message he sent me was that his attorney is pushing him to make a law suite against me and that he will ask her to back off but he needs something from me. Should I continue to ignore or ask him what he said he needs?
If you got a no-contact order against him, you can notify police that he has violated it, which is a crime.

You can also request that he only contact you via his attorney. But you're not required to respond at all. It's up to you to decide whether you want to try to work something out, and if you have the desire and ability to repay some of what he gave you in order to resolve the matter and keep it from going any further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What do you think I should do?
I'm sorry, but I can't tell you what to do. I'm only able to explain what the options are. Your decision is ultimately based on a lot of factors that I can't weigh for you, especially without all of the facts. But you should also be aware that he can use anything you say against you, so if you decide to maintain contact, choose your words carefully. Do not admit to doing anything wrong.

If you want to try to resolve it and pay him to leave you alone, you can respond to either him or his attorney, denying liability but offering to settle in the interests of moving on. If you never want to hear from him again, then you can tell him to stop contacting you and see if it works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thank you so much you have helped alot!
You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. I hope it works out for you.
Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you