Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

hello...In NJ if I pled guilty to a petty disorderly do I have

hello...In NJ if I pled guilty to a petty disorderly do I have to answer yes to"do you have a criminal record"? And if a background check is done, will it turn up?Thanks

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Yes

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, petty disorderly conduct offense is still considered to be a criminal violation under NJ law.

Alex Esquire :

So such conviction has to be disclosed, as it will most definitely show up on your criminal background report.

Alex Esquire :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Ok, but why does it say on the internet that in NJ it is not seen as a crime? Can it prevent me from obtaining a license for a medical field?

Alex Esquire :

It is considered a criminal offense, but a criminal violation and not a misdemeanor or felony and generally conviction of such petty criminal offense, would not prevent a person from obtaining a medical license

Customer:

oh, its almost 5 years....How much is an expungement?Thanks

Customer:

How do I know it wasn't a misdemeanor?

Alex Esquire :

Well, you plead guilty to petty disorderly conduct, then it is a petty criminal offense and not a misdemeanor

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer: Ues
Customer: Yes
Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer: Yes. How much is an expungement?
Alex Esquire :

It would be impossible to guess what an expungement would cost as far as legal fees, as each lawyer sets his/her own rates, however if you are applying for medical license and the criminal conviction was expunged, you would still have to state it, as would be true for any other government related purpose.

Alex Esquire :

Does this make sense?

Customer: Yes , but would it show up on background check?
Alex Esquire :

yes

Alex Esquire :

if it is done by a government or quasi-government organization, but not by private company or organization.

Customer: What about for an apartment? If its going to show up why get it expunged?
Customer: Can the municipal court give me a doc stating Exactly what I pled guilty to?
Alex Esquire :

If a landlord checks your criminal background and your criminal conviction is expunged, it would not show up.

Alex Esquire :

You can go to the clerk of court and request a certified copy of your case disposition which would show exactly what you plead guilty to.

Alex Esquire :

I wish you the best of luck. Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: Thanks for that. Why get expunged if its going to show up?
Alex Esquire :

If you expunge this record it would not show up on any criminal background search done for non-governmental / official purposes.

Customer: Could they be biased against me when I try foru license? Am I considered a criminal?
Alex Esquire :

No

Alex Esquire :

This is a minor / petty criminal offense, which should not prevent you from getting medical license

Customer: So I am an offender not a criminal?
Customer: Oh, one more thing. If part of my tree falls in my meighbors
Customer: yardneighbors yard am I responsible for
Customer: the Cleanup?
Alex Esquire :

This is entirely different new question, that I am not permitted to answer in criminal law category and which has to be posted in our Real Estate category.

Alex Esquire :

A conviction for a petty criminal offense, does not make someone a criminal.

Alex Esquire :