AttyCBradford
AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Defense and Family law Attorney serving California statewide
66829710

I was recently charged with Fed 21 usc 844 for having a grinder

I was recently charged with Fed 21 usc 844 for having a grinder with a very small amount of marijuana in it. How will this affect any federal student aid i may be eligible for? This is my first offense of any kind, and I really do not want to lose my ability to go to school because of this. If i pay the ticket is there any possibility of negative reprecussions in regards XXXXX XXXXX student aid.

AttyCBradford :

This does not have any effect on your student loans. If I have answered all of your questions please press accept and provide positive feedback so I will get credit for assisting you. PLEASE NOTE: this is a PAID answering service and we only receive credit for assisting you if you accept the answer. If you are not satisfied and need additional assistance, please ask before providing negative feedback and I would be glad to assist you further. Sometimes I am working with more than one customer at a time so please allow a chance to respond. Thank you and I wish you the best in your situation! I strongly suggest that you consult with a local attorney in your area on this matter. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice nor has an attorney-client relationship been formed.

Customer:

What about federal pell grants? It won't disqualify me from receiving those?

AttyCBradford :

No it does not disqualify you from federal pell grants either. What would disqualify you would be if you were a convicted FELON. The charge you have been charged with is not a felony

AttyCBradford :

If you have further questions please ask, otherwise please accept the answer

AttyCBradford :

If this is an infraction its not a problem

AttyCBradford :

However, if it is a MISDEMEANOR conviction then you could potentially loose your federal aid

AttyCBradford :

It is YOUR responsibility to notify the office of the drug conviction

AttyCBradford :

Odds are that there is a rehabilitation program you can participate in

Customer:

Does paying the fine admit to guilt? Last question sorry how would I determine if it is an infraction or a misdeamenor

AttyCBradford :

Yes paying the fine generally requires you to admit innocence or guilty! Also it will say on the ticket whether it was an (I) infraction or (M) misdeameanor