How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I sue a cop for giving my citation to the wrong county,

Customer Question

Can I sue a cop for giving my citation to the wrong county, resulting with me getting arrested and put in jail? Feburary 8, 2013 a cop pulled me over for speeding. He gave me a citation that i said i wanted to go to court for. In the middle of March I realized that I had an exam for college during the the scheduled court time. Therefore i called numerous times, well over 10. What the court receptionists always told me was that I was not in their system and therefor I couldn't reschedule a court date. I continued to follow up and even 15 minuets before i was suppose to be in court I was still not in the system. I figured he must have lost it and thought it was all behind me. Then on June 27 I was pulled over for failing to make a complete stop at a stop sign and the officer arrested me for a warrant in Soccoro county. My ticket clearly instructs me to go to the court house in Truth or Consequenes in Sierra county. Therefore I feel I was falsely arrested and my time has been wasted. I am not a criminal and yet I was treated as one.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

I am sorry that you are experiencing this matter.

So please tell me what happened once you were arrested - were you released on bond or you own recognizance?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was released on a 191.00 bond 3 hours after I was arrested.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.



I see. Well, they have to set a bond when there is a record of a failure to appear


You can sue the police officer, but you will need to prove that the police officer arrested you knowing full well that your ticket was for another county and that there was an intent to cause you harm by arresting you.


Police officers only do a job. There is a warrant and they arrest based on that information. But if you can show that this officer knew for a fact that the warrant was not valid or only arrested you to harm you, then you might find a local attorney to take your case


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Im not wanting to sue the officer who arrested me because it wasn't his fault. I want to sue the officer who gave the wrong county my citation, which resulted in me going to jail.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.



Yes, if you can prove that the error was intentional. Again, it's the same premise. You have to be able to prove that it was not just an error but an Intentional attempt to harm you.