How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I run an online forum. One member posted my home address

This answer was rated:

Hi. I run an online forum. One member posted my home address to me and made a number of threats to maim me, contact family members and say things about me...but I'm mostly concerned about him threatening to come hurt me or that he will share my personal information with other people who may wish me ill.

He was banned from the community after making the threats a few weeks ago but he continues to try and log in on a daily basis. Is there anything I can do?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I am sorry for your trouble with this situation.
Kirk Adams : You can file harassment charges against this person and seek a restraining order to prohibit any contact from this person; that judge could also require this person to cease and desist from putting your personal information online for the purposes you've mentioned above.

Is this a form I can download online or get from a court on my own, or do I need a lawyer to help me in this?


And should I try e-mailing him and telling him that if he persists, I will take those actions? Or should I never contact him?

Kirk Adams : There's no form that you can file alone.
Kirk Adams : Instead, you would have to file the charges with the local court and then ask the court for to issue an order prohibiting this person from making any contact with you and also ordering this person to stop his current actions.

Do you recommend trying to e-mail him?

Kirk Adams : You can do that, but a cease and desist letter from an attorney would likely carry more weight.

Ok, thank you.

Roger and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions