How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27082
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you have a felony taken off your record at any time. It

This answer was rated:

Can you have a felony taken off your record at any time. It was about 10 or 15 yers ago and they have been in no trouble since.
Hello Jacustomer,

No, unfortunately, you can't expunge a felony at all in the state of Texas, regardless of how many years its been since the conviction. While some other states are generous in allowed to clea. up your record, Texas is not one of them. Texas won't expunge any convictions, not even a misdemeanor.

What you can though to lessen the effects of your criminal conviction would be to apply for a pardon from the governor. Pardons don't erase your record, but they do forgive it, which is still a pretty good deal if you can get one. This is a longshot, of course, but after 10 or 15 years, you might be a good candidate for one. Besides, it's free and you don't need a lawyer so you might as well try. Here's where you can find more information about it.

Another longshot possibility is to hire a lawyer and see if you can get your old case dismissed in the interest of justice. Judges have the power to do this, though they don't like to and they would need a compelling reason to do so for you. Some judges won't entertain a petition to do this at all. But it's worth talking to a local criminal lawyer to see if he thinks it's a viable possibility for you once he finds out who the judge is and some details about your case.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news, but your state's laws are tough, and I have to call it like it is.
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you