How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a way to find out if someone has a restraining order

This answer was rated:

Is there a way to find out if someone has a restraining order against them? A friend's ex-wife is dating a convicted felon. He has reason to believe there may be an scribe TRO against the guy due to a past relationship. How could one find out if this is the case. He currently lives in Virginia, but it's possible if there is a TRO, that it may have been issued in another state.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The first place she can check is with the local police, since some states enter a TRO in the national domestic violence database. However, not all states enter TROs in the computer database and if the TRO was issued where they do not enter them would require you to know the state where it was entered and check with the court where it was issued. To start, it is likely the felony conviction would be from the same state where the TRO is entered so that would be a starting point and you would contact the court there to see if a TRO is entered, since that is public record and available to anyone who asks. If it is not available with the local police check that is where you would have to check next I am afraid.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you