Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a girlfriend from

I have a girlfriend from...

I have a girlfriend from kumasi, last week she got her computer confiscated by authorities there there were some pictures of me on the computer along with a few videos. She was well over 20 years old. I get email that my pictures and videos will be published on line all over the world if I don't pay 7000 us dollars by end of Monday. The email is supposed to be from the daily graphic news there in Ghana. Should I ignore, or contact the police. These were between both of us, it went both ways Can you help me. Ron [email protected]

6/23/2013
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. How did they even find out your information? Also, what does she have to say about this and how was the computer confiscated in the first place? Also, if you do not mind me asking, have you met this girl in person or everything has been online?

we communicated thru skype, video with each other

the computer was confiscated at a cyber cafe from what the person told me

she was supoosebly arrested but out

we had shared pictures and videos of each other

i know i should never done this butthis gentleman is threatening putting all over you tube and facebook if i dont pay and sending to cnn and other sources.

she has been the only person ive shared with

Thank you for the additional information. If you never actually met this women in person, I am incline to believe that this whole thing is a scam and they are trying to extort money from you. Any video that contains sexual content, would likely be a violation of the terms and conditions of youtube and facebook, so it would be removed. Moreover, cnn and any other media outlet would not likely find this newsworthy or even air it on television. I think in a situation like this, you go to the authorities and even the FBI and report it. I find it hard to believe that she allowed someone to just confiscate her computer from a cyber cafe and was arrested and was released. Demand from her some documentation showing she was actually arrested and charged. I personally would not send this person any money, since they will likely demand more after and even if it was true, would not likely turn everything back over to you or her and just walk away.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

there was one more situation out of this I just found this out.

the woman I have been corresponding with just told me that she just turned 18. and the persons in the video and live chat was not her. this makes me more scared, but she also wants me to send her the money and she would give to the person himself. I think still a scam but should I be more worried? The person who I talked to and saw in videos reacted to my questions and they were much older.

should I be worried still??

If she is telling you to send the money to her and she will give it to the person or people demanding it, it is more likely a scam. Also, if the person who you saw in the video and who you were talking with was different and over 18, then it is more obvious that this is some type of fraud and a scam, since they are now switching the person on you and trying to hint that you were doing this with a minor. However, if you have proof that the person is different, you have evidence to support your position that you do not know who the other person is. If you want, ask this person why they claimed to be someone else and use someone else's identity and now are asking for money and claim to have just turned 18.

thank you

if i talk to her its only thru skype messaging now

and they reduced to 4000 us dollars

should i contact my local police to keep them aware of this?

or is this a bad idea

scare and worried

i just want to protect my interest and family embarrasement

thank you

You can certainly contact the police and since this is something happening outside the US, you may also want to contact the FBI and alert them of this scam. The amount is being lowered in hopes you pay it, as they would rather get something then nothing.

i have another question pertaining to this situation

this person is stalking my teen daughter thru tracking her and my son thru facebook.

we had set highest security on facebook can offer he keeps giving me a timeline of wanting the money or contacting my kids.

my daughter recieved a message from threatening to expose me to all her friends.

i have contacted the FBI internet team and the Crime Unit in their city

do I need to have some legal

Have you contact Facebook about these threats and informed them? They can likely remove them or totally block them

I have done everything I possible could do with setting up security on facebook.

he has sent me more text messages stating that he has been in contact with my daughter, I asked her and she said no one has. I think he is undergrounding my daughter facebook. not sure.

I called his bluff, and told him I am not sending and he got mad and stated if not by tomorrow then it is all over me again.

I reviewed every email I sent to this girl and nothing stating having sex with a girl .

I did review the video, my face is not in those naked pictures.

I did send general videos of just talk seeing how her day is and general talk. nothing with sex.

so I guess I just wait and see?

I just fear for my kids, for the stupidity I did of a lonely person.

so is there any legal thing I can to protect us?

thank you

It sounds as though they are trying to blackmail you but have nothing incriminating. You said it yourself there are no nude photos or anything illegal. Just conversations. You do not even know the true identity of the person, so all you can do at this time is report it to the police and FBI and have them investigate the matter. You should not even respond any more to this person and just walk away. As you already saw, the response angered him, so why even bother.

thank you

your welcome

when you i talked earlier, we did exchange a few photos of each other, a few of the genitals. and one small video showing my genitals my face was not it.

she did the same as well. the person ive talked to and she responded was a much older woman.

i would never done this if i have known this person was or would be a minor.

now with this crime unit they sent me a email today that i should send them the money asap, and they would represent me . if not the ice.gov will be contacted as me being a pediphil. i am not that

should icontact this organization?ask questions, research or what should i do now?

well the ghana crime unit was in touch, as told by FBI they asked for all details, i provided the otiginal email with these pictures.

now

It sounds as though they are still trying to find ways to get money out of you. As such, I would still report this to the police and FBI and allow them to investigate. You still have no way of verifying the id of these people and who they are with.

thank you for responding,

now the Ghana police are suggesting I pay the police

this is the email I received the other day from the police department

Mr.Pavlon,

I have never met you in real life but my heart tells me you are a good brethen but sometimes in life the unfortunate happens which can ruin your life and as a honest man with integrity i have to help where i can and this is just what am doing. Please privimg your innocent to me will not solve the problem and you have to confide in me to solve this matter amicably before the media broadcast your nude materials on the internet for the ICE to investigate. A small quarrel can lead to a war if peace does not prevail. After i received the print media letter, i have no option but to write you asap and waiting on your response before i act. Please follow on to the bank to faster the process. As i am puting myself in your shows to solve this problem, kindly pay the monwy to my name to receive it and done everything on your behalf as the General Inspector who has power to control this commission. NAME: AUGUSTINE YAMOAH

G.P.S- 143 MINISTRIES ROAD.

ADUM- KUMASI, GHANA.

For security reason you have to tell the Money transfer Bank that you are building like you are supporting the building of an orphanage home in Ghana where you visited some years ago, so as to not raise a red flag.
Thank You and your quickest actions is needed to proceed.

then they sent me this link that I would be placed on

http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php?section=Nation&title=Couple-in-cybersex-nabbed&id=71322

now they sent me a latest email that I have 72 hours to pay or else the unfortunate.

I did place a complaint on the FBI site, as well contacted ICE.gov they told me the same thing place a file with the FBI site.

Do I wait and see,

I think this is still a scam, but looks all official.

I did find out they did do a switch on me, that the person that I have been involved with was older, and she had her computer confiscated and they saw pictures of me then put together a montage of pictures saying I was having sex with under age girls. The girl I have been talking to told me this she has been begging to talk to me about it .

so I am putting that into the claim as well.

let me know

thank you again

I would not give this person a penny nor would I respond. If you notice, things have changed very quickly from where this all started and more and more people seem to want money from you.
CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty