How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can the police hold my son for 2hrs and not let me see are

This answer was rated:

can the police hold my son for 2hrs and not let me see are talk to him even though he asking for me and considering this is his first offence do you think he still could face juvenile dentition for dry bumping which happen at Delmar fair while in line for a ride but admit that he did it to 3 girls
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your son's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While it is legal for CA police to hold your son, and not allow you to speak with him for a couple of hours, generally the policy of most police departments us that the parents are notified of the detention of their child soon after the detention and transport to the holding facility.

Parents have no legal right to speak with their children who are detained by police---unless that parent is also a n attorney and representing their child. Eventually though, the police always allow access except in some instances of serious crimes.

Your son's alleged offenses are actually pretty serious, and legally constitute sexual battery. The fact that he did this to 3 separate girls makes it even more problematic.

However, presuming this is his first offense, it is highly unlikely that he will be sent to juvenile detention. He will most likely be given probation, and if old enough, ordered to do community service. Here is a link to a legal discussion of sexual battery in CA:

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,


LawTalk and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Stephen. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.