Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My friend got arrested on her way home after taking a hallucinogen

My friend got arrested on her way home after taking a hallucinogen a my house. No money was exchanged. She simply chose to take it. Her family texted me today saying she was arrested last night and to stay away from her. My question is, can her parents press charges against me?
Hello Jacustomer,

One need not pay for the exchange of drugs for it to be considered a sale. Giving it away is still distributing it.

Yes her parents can press charges against you, but since they don't know whether it's true that you provided it or not, it likely wouldn't get very far unless your friend were willing to cooperate with the police and prosecutor to give evidence against you.

In case that happens, say nothing to anyone about what happened at your house. If the police call you and want some information, don't talk to them about the incident until you've conferred a local lawyer