Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If the arresting officer does not read me my rights is this

an issue that may help...
If the arresting officer does not read me my rights is this an issue that may help me in this case
6/21/2013
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Hello again,

A police officer only needs to read a person his rights before beginning an interrogation once the person is in custody. If they didn't question you, then they don't have to inform you of your rights. If they did question you, then the fact that they didn't read your rights would allow you to move to suppress any statements that you made, and any evidence found as a result of those statements. It's not grounds for automatic dismissal, but it can help your case if there are statements they can't use against you.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer