How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117359
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I know someone who forged a prescription (did not forge

Customer Question

I know someone who forged a prescription (did not forge the signature, wrote an additonal med. on the valid script) The pharmacy called the doc to verify, and the doc said: do not fill it-mail it back to me. Do you think the doc is going to get her in trouble? What is the worst case scenario? Please help. Thanks.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking. Please understand the experts receive no credit for working with customers unless a customer leaves excellent/good feedback for the expert.

Unfortunately, prescription fraud (altering or falsifying a prescription) is a criminal offense in PA. It is also a felony under federal law carrying a sentence of up to 5 years in federal prison. Under PA law it can be a minor misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in prison or it can be class 1 misdemeanor punishable by up to 5 years in prison depending on the amount that they attempted to obtain, the type of narcotic and their previous record (the DA has the discretion on whether to charge it as a regular misdemeanor or the class 1 misdemeanor, which is a felony in every other state)

The doctor will also likely now do one of two things. First, they can refuse to see her any longer and not the incident in her medical records, meaning she will have a hard time finding a new doctor and if she does they will be extremely hesitant to write her any controlled substances. Second, he can agree to continue to treat her but refuse to write her any further prescriptions.

As far as the doctor reporting it to the police, most times that is unlikely because the doctor does not want the headache of having to go to court and testify and in almost every case they will simply either refuse to see her as a patient and/or just refuse to write her any more prescriptions for controlled substances.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.