Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

do I need a lawyer to prove I did not authorize an unlicensed

Customer Question
driver to drive my vehicle...
do I need a lawyer to prove I did not authorize an unlicensed driver to drive my vehicle without filing a stolen vehicle report and avoid any negative impact on the driver. citation was given and dated during a time period that other coworkers and timeclock can prove i was working, driver had extra key copy (unknown to me untill after the fact) Driver is a friend facing deportation and contempt of court for using drugs or alcohol . Not only did I not know he was using drugs, had a key to my car, was using my car until i recieved a call from jail from driver and noticed at the same time my car wasnt outside where i parked it. I dont want to file a report of stolen vehicle because my car is safe, wasnt involved in an accident, and it would be unfair as far as consequences driver friend would have for immigration purposes since obviously he needs help and counseling for drug or alcohol addiction or abuse and therefore was confused or impaired in judgement which shouldnt be punished as an intentional criminal or illegal act.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/19/2013
Criminal Lawyer: Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 4 years ago
Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is Fred and I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

What was the citation given for - what violation?

You can prove that you were at work when the violation occurred?

Permitting an unauthorized driver to drive NRs 483.590 Nevada . I brought my friend with me to work he was supposed to wait for me to take him to his friends house on my break or get a ride so I left him in my car, but took my keys. I do believe I saw the same police officer in thuer unmarked vehicle near the same parking lot facing my car. I knew recognized it because the week before he ( officer boggan)came while I was working in the same or very similar vehicle to ask me to help him with to arrest my friend for possession of a controlled substance by asking him to buy drugs and then telling them when he had it and said that if I didn't I would would be charged for being an accessory, which I'm also afraid of if I'm found to be guilty I refused. I can't confirm that because I do not have access to the police report since I am NOT listed as a victimthat was about 6:05 p.m. the citation says that the time of issuance and the time of occurrence was at about 7:29 p.m.which is impossible because yes I can prove I was working from 6:05 p.m. to 615 am coworkers can testify that I had not even taken a break between the time of 6:05pm and 0729pm

Ok, what does your "friend" about the matter? Will he confess that he took your vehicle without your knowledge or consent?

Hell stay quiet won't say anything

A complete defense to the charge or citation is if he would admit that he took your vehicle without your knowledge or consent.

So, would he do that?

Of course not, I'm screwed then I guess. Never thought I'd live to see the day is be labeled as a criminal. I'm an all or nothing type of girl, if I lose my cna license for this I'll might as well walk myself do my makeup go to the jail and get my mugshot taken:(at least I'd be the prettiest in reno/Carson. What else would be a positive about this oh yeah would be a good bedtime story for my daughter....A bad thing happens to good people story, and our family is cursed for traffic and vehicles story...never fails it just never fails...

Ely, Counselor at Law