How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am again trying to get as many possible professional opinions

This answer was rated:

I am again trying to get as many possible professional opinions as possible....and this site has been extremely helpful here and my now ex fiancé had an argument in nov which turned physical she hit me in the face and scratched my nose I pushed her away which resulted in her falling and separating her charges were filed until we finally broke up in feb...I in turn showed the pics to the police at the station filled out a report and charges were filed against her but the commonwealth attorney null processed my charges...what kind of punishment can I expect it is a first offense...if convicted can I appeal...thank you



Thank you for this follow up question and update on your situation


So when you say the charges were Null Prossed - those are the charges that you filed against her and yet, the charges she filed against you are now pending? Is that correct? Did she have a local attorney to defend against the charges you filed?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is correct and no she didn't the commonwealth attorney made that decision



Thank you for the information


And you want to know if you can appeal a sentence, if you are found guilty?

Or are you asking if you can appeal the DA decision to Nol Pros the charges you brought?


Have you sought the assistance of the public defender? Have you had an arraignment?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am asking both and I have hired an attorney but am still seeking all the info I can...also what is most likely punishment if covicted
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am still amazed that 3 months after incident she filed charges does that hurt her case



Thank you.


You cannot appeal the DA's decision Not to Prosecute. They always have discretion


And the only way you could appeal a sentence is if you have ineffective counsel or if the sentence is considered to be "cruel and unusual" for the crime. And if you take a plea agreement - say so that it is a suspended sentence in lieu of a jail term to avoid the tax payer expense of a "trial" then you would not be able to appeal unless you could show that you were mentally disabled and did not fully understand the terms of the plea agreement.


As to the punishment, it is a Class 1 misdemeanor and as such does carry a possible up to 1 year in jail and up to $2500 in fines.

However, your attorney should be able to negotiate a plea where you would get a suspended sentence, placed in a deferred adjudication (which means, that if you do not have any other criminal problems at all within that probation then the matter is not prosecuted and there is no record) So you should discuss that possibility with your local attorney.

And, as I stated before, she has filed within the SOL allowed - but your attorney should be able to get the DA to place on the deferred adjudication or dismiss because it is apparent the only reason she filed was because of the break up - though that does not dismiss the facts that there was an injury.


Samuel II and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you