How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26823
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son 22, was pulled over and arested for having a small amount

This answer was rated:

my son 22, was pulled over and arested for having a small amount of cocain and heroin in his car. He was not under the influnce at the time. They took him to the station and charged him with CPCS 7th. and let him go ROR'd. He was never arested before and does not have a record. He has been a user and two weeks prior checked himself into a rehab program which he is going to 5 days a week. He is under a Suboxon treatment and is also seeing a therapyst. He also has a job and has just competed college. What should I expect is going to happen and how much should I expect to pay for a lawyer.

Thank you
Hi Jacustomer,

I'm a New York criminal lawyer, and if this is his first contact with the law and the amount of drugs on his person in personal use amounts, as they seem to be, the DA will likely make him an offer of a disorderly conduct (a violation and not a crime) on his court date or propose some other disposition which will keep him from being burdened with a misdemeanor record for the rest of his life. It will definitely help that he is in rehab, seeing a therapist, and interested in getting himself back on track so that he can have a successful career now that he's finished his education.

What you pay for a lawyer is going to depend on what will happen with the case. If your son wants a dispostion that will not involve a criminal conviction, then it shouldn't require much negotiating and the case likely won't last more than another adjournment or two. On the other hand, if he wants to fight the case and go all the way to trial, the lawyer will charge him accordingly as he must put a great deal of time into the case.

Roughly, he can expect to pay around the $1,000 range for a disposition, and quite a bit more for a trial. The most accurate way to find the going rate in your community is to call the New York Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. That's also a good place to find a lawyer. They charge $35 for the referral but it includes a half hour consultation with the lawyer.

I think this is what you wanted to know but if I left anything out, please use the reply tab below and let me know what it is so that I can reply and expand this answer.
Zoey_ JD and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions