CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I have for some time tried to get back from my daughter and

I have for some time tried to get back from my daughter and son-in -law pictures of my family that go back three generations. These pictures had belonged to my mother before she died and I had received from her estate. My daughter was supposed to digitize them and said that she could not and that she would return them. My daughter and I are estranged and I have received a letter and document from their lawyer that if I sign a document stating that I must never have anything to do with them for the rest of my life if I want my pictures back. I will not sign such a document and my lawyer says I shouldn't. I have reason to believe that the pictures were destroyed at least one and a half years ago. Can and should I have my daughter and son-in-law arrested for not returning my pictures?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You should certainly not sign anything that you do not feel comfortable with and should also rely on the advice of your attorney, since he/she is the in the best position to know and understand the situation. If these pictures are yours and they were obtained from your mothers estate, they belong to you and you have a legal right to them. You should have never received this letter, threatening their return, since they have no legal right to keep them in the first place. You merely lent the photos to them and never give up your right to them. The attorney should really have known better and you may even consider filing a bar complaint against them, for their actions. As far as the issue with the arrest, it would be at the discretion of the police, since they may say that this is a civil issue and not criminal, so they can not get involved. It certainly does not hurt to try and you would need to convince them that these items were taken and not returned. They may tell you since it is an issue involving family and belongings, that you need to file a civil lawsuit and go after them and sue for damages, as a result of their actions. However, these photos are so unique, that it is hard to place an actual value of them. See if the police will get involved, to try and facilitate a resolution but if not, then a civil suit will need to follow.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.