Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
22589080

Parole violation with a new case. My boyfriend is on parole

Parole violation with a new case. My boyfriend is on parole and got into a confrontation with his ex. She scratched him up and he accidentally hit her in the eye. She called his PO and told her and she also pressed charges. He found out and didnt report to his PO. With a previous violent crime on his record, what kind of time is he looking at when he gets caught or turns himself in?

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you tonight?

meigs004 :

So you are wondering what kind of time your boyfriend might be facing for violating his parole?

meigs004 :

What was the underlying charge that he was on parole for?

Customer:

the original case was he shot someone they survived and text fight against them um it was attempted murder and then they reduced it to bodily harm with a weapon or something like that

meigs004 :

Ok, so he was convicted, served some time, and then was released on parole for that charge, while on parole for that charge, he got in this altercation with the ex? Have this prosecution/State of Michigan, sought to revoke his parole?

Customer:

what kind of time will he get for the new case of domestic violence plus what he already did and violating

Customer:

right now I don't know anything he didn't report to his parole officer and he's on the run so I don't know anything I just want to know what might happened and what kind of time hell get if convicted for the DV case

meigs004 :

The amount of time depends on the prosecutor and the judge. Let me say that it is not the best situation for him, but if he acquires a lawyer, the number one thing he needs to do is dispute the domestic violence charge if he is arrested. Being charged of a new crime is a violation of the terms of parole, and the parole office will conduct an "investigation" into the crime and then report to a supervisor who will then decide whether or not to revoke him. If his parole is revoked, then they will issue a warrant for his arrest, and also there will probably be a warrant for his arrest on the DV charge.

meigs004 :

The DV charge, depending on the degree, and the number of priors ranges anywhere from 90 + days in jail and a 500 dollar fine up to 2 years in prison and a 2500 dollar fine.

meigs004 :

That is just for the DV charge if convicted.

Customer:

So there is no way of know how many years hell get? What if she drops the charges what kind of time will he get for just violating

meigs004 :

There is no way of determining how many years that he will get without just speculating. If the charges are dropped or dismissed, then likely they will not revoke his parole, and will seek to keep him on parole and just either extend it, fine him, or give him a little jail time.

meigs004 :

Before "turning himself in", if he can afford it, he needs to consult a local attorney and make sure that the attorney can work out a deal for him so that he can limit the damages.

Customer:

Ok thank you

meigs004 :

You are welcome, do you have any other questions?

Customer:

No

meigs004 :

If not, please remember to provide a positive rating by selecting the smiley face and submitting so that I can be credited for our time together! Good luck to your boyfriend!

meigs004 :

Please do not forget to provide the positive rating as I can not be credited for our time together tonight unless you do!

meigs004 :

Please return and provide the positive rating by selecting the smiley face and submitting.