Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Can a convicted Federal Felon keep a Taser in their home for

use to protect their family...
Can a convicted Federal Felon keep a Taser in their home for use to protect their family during a home invasion?
6/10/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to providing you the information you are seeking.

The possession of a stun gun in MO is legal and there are no restrictions in MO for having one in your home as a convicted felon.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Does this also apply to Taser's. I was looking into getting one for our home for self defense but many of the websites that sell them state that they cannot sell you one if you are a convicted felon. Just want to be sure that there is not a distinction between STUN gun and Taser. I am trying to protect my family while adhering to the law. Here is the verbiage from the home protection website: "DISCLOSURE: Felony Background Check Required. We cannot ship your TASER® until the completion of simple felony background check. After you purchase your TASER® we will email or fax you a form for you to complete that requires your date of birth, address, last 4 digits of your social security number, and driver's license/state issued ID number. Upon completion of the background check, we will ship your TASER. If you are a convicted felon you cannot carry a TASER®"

Note: I will not be carrying the Taser it will be kept at home. Maybe the distinction is that I cannot carry one. Very confusing.

Yes, I read the same thing you posted on some taser site and then went to look at the MO statutes and found that the information they provided is incorrect as the MO law does not state tasers are forbidden in the home of a convicted felon. I also saw on wikianswers and yahooanswers that it said a convicted felon cannot have a taser in any state, but that is NOT what the federal law says either. The federal law specifically states firearm and a taser is not a firearm. MO law specifically states firearm as well, not taser.

Here is the MO law and it mirrors federal law:

Possession of firearm unlawful for certain persons--penalty--exception.

571.070. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if such person knowingly has any firearm in his or her possession and:

(1) Such person has been convicted of a felony under the laws of this state, or of a crime under the laws of any state or of the United States which, if committed within this state, would be a felony; or

(2) Such person is a fugitive from justice, is habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition, or is currently adjudged mentally incompetent.

2. Unlawful possession of a firearm is a class C felony.

3. The provisions of subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to the possession of an antique firearm.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer