Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

What are the charges on a theft of $1,100 of pull tabs?

6/9/2013
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. Do you know the statute under which the person is charged?

609.52

Thank you for the additional information. Based upon the value of the theft, this is going to be charged as a felony and carries with it up to five years in prison and/or a fine of not more than $10,000. Those are the maximum sentences which can be imposed and a lot depends on the facts of the case and the prior criminal history, if any, of the defendant. Of course, the person charged has ever legal right to fight this and make the State prove the charge against them, beyond a reasonable doubt. However, if they were willing to take a plea, they likely could avoid any jail or prison time and be looking at a sentence that requires probation, fines, court costs and restitution. Since this is a nonviolent crime, there is no reason that State should seek jail, unless the person is a repeat offender. If the defendant is unable to retain private counsel, they need to ask to be appointed the public defender, when they appear in court. The PD will make a demand for discovery and look over the facts of the case, to see if it is in their best interest to go to trial or take a plea deal.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty