Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If they will give my business to the prosecutor, I know that

I will win this case...
If they will give my business to the prosecutor, I know that I will win this case, because did not steal anything
it was not specifically conceived
it was an accident
I just ... forgot my scarf fell to the floor ... I tried on their scarf ... and then came in store agane and found it .. I was at this point thought about my thoughts ... I'm depressed ... I have a document from a doctor
... 'cause in the shop on the floor lay my scarf ... I looked and dressed .. .. when I saw this on me, I realized that I lost my ... exactly the same
But the problem tom.chto the lawyer will be very expensive ... more expensive than those $ 350
Therefore, I AGREE TO PAY
although it was an honest theft

ONLY IF THEY WILL NOT PUT ANY INFOR
IF NOWHERE TO SIGN OR NOTES
on my social security card
do you understand my question?
6/8/2013
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Thank you for using Just Answer.

I am happy to try and assist you, but I want to make sure I am understanding your question.

You accidentally walked out with an item you thought was yours without paying for it. You have seen received a letter from a lawyer representing the store demanding payment for $350 (to cover things like the cost of the investigation, etc). And you want to know if there will be a record of this somewhere, is that correct?

Were you ever arrested or charged with a crime?
!NO !NEVER!
correct! I was never arested!
again
I've never been arrested or detained by police
You need to give me time to reply before you keep answering, please.

Since you were never arrested or given any type of document to appear in court, you have not been charged with anything, based on these facts. That means there is no file or record anywhere, and there is no prosecutor involved. You don't have to worry about something going on your social security (that wouldn't happen anyway) or showing up in a background check.

As for the letter you got from the lawyer demanding $350 payment = that's a scare tactic. The reality is that the law firm is essentially a debt collector, and while the law gives the company the right to send a civil demand letter, where the law firms make money is by sending out hundreds of such letters and hoping people will pay them. The fact is, while they COULD sue you if you didn't pay the $350 they are requesting, the chances of that are very slim, because it would cost them more to sue you then what they would collect in a judgment. If you ignore it, it's likely to just go away.

You not paying the demand will have no bearing on whether you are ever charged or not - though I will say since you weren't arrested at the time, it's not likely the police would be called now.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
please take into consideration that maybe when I was detained in the store they gave to sign a document
Maybe I signed it
I do not remember exactly!
I was in great stress and I do not remember what I did
other than that I am treated by a doctor for depression
Maybe I signed it
I do not remember exactly!
I am treated by a doctor for depression
It's hard for me to answer that without knowing what you signed - I don't want to guess at what it might have been. But if they wanted to have you arrested, they would have called the police when this happened, and they didn't. Therefore, I don't think you are going to get charged. Rather, they had the law firm/lawyer that represents you send that civil demand letter demanding payment. I'm sure it came across as very threatening, too. That's how they get people to pay. But like I said - if you ignore it, they usually give up and stop contacting you, because it's a way to extort people. It would cost them more to sue you for the $350 they are asking for.
Thak U!
You're welcome. Have a good night.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
U 2
Thank you. I will close this question now.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
RobertJDFL, Lawyer