How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an American and my parents got divorce when i was 5. I

This answer was rated:

I am an American and my parents got divorce when i was 5. I am originally from California and I was taken away from the USA to the Middle East many years ago. I was taken away by my mom because at the time my mom and I were being physically abused by my dad. He filed for child abduction after we left. I am an adult but I would like to have my whereabouts secret from my dad. I would like to have my American passport renewed for easier travel but i am afraid what will happen if I go to an embassy. What kind of questions will be asked? Will my dad need to be contacted even though I'm 28 years old? My mom is elderly now and quite sick and I simply want to avoid seeing my mom go to jail or end up in the media because of my fathers wickedness. I will one day search for my dad and forgive him but I am not ready yet.

Good morning John,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As an adult, when you go to have your passport renewed, neither of your parents will be contacted. You are now an adult, and they have no say in your life that you do not invite or allow. Your father will not be contacted. The questions you can expect to be asked when getting your passport renewed are mostly identification questions such as name, address, date and place of birth, citizenship, names you have used in your life. The process is quite streamlined as this will only be a renewal for you.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,


LawTalk and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi doug, thanks for prompt reply. i am so happy i can get on with my life. i am wondering how long might it take to get a passport finished, since i haven't reapplied in years. i have the old passport from when i was 9 years old.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, John. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I forgot to ask you. Is it possible my mom could go to jail for me renewing my passport. what are the implications for her?

Good morning John,

I truly have no ability to know of any ramifications regarding your mother based on your passport renewal. I wouldn't even know if charges were ever filed by a prosecutor or a warrant issued. Neither would I know whether your name is XXXXX XXXXX in the US justice system as an abducted child.

All of that would be more suited to a criminal law question---yet unanswerable without much information that is not available---I'm sorry.

LawTalk and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi doug,

Thanks again. so i would need to find a get the services of a criminal lawyer in California to answer find out if my passport has been flagged or anything like that?
Good evening John,

The problem with a passport being flagged is that only Homeland Security has that information. CA Attorneys, of which I am one----we don't have access to the federal databases that are so secret.

An attorney, or even a bail bond agent in the county where you lived before you were taken out of country could tell you if there is a state warrant out for your mother. Beyond that, unless you have access to a federal database used by Homeland Security---I just don't know how you could find out about a flagged passport/individual.

I wish you well,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks doug