How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28063
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on a 10 year probation now half way through i have a felony

This answer was rated:

I am on a 10 year probation now half way through i have a felony charge for arson burnt down a habatation with no one inside and now want to see if can get judge to reduce hours for community service lower so i can live with the socity i have gone to school got a aos degree so trying to get my life in track any suggestions . and getting texas probation to lower monthy payments due to life exp i am hard of hearing so medical equipment isnt cheap times are hard what should i do
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The payment which you want lowered, are these for the cost of supervision or some type of restitution? Also, how many hours did you have to perform and have many have you performed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes and i have 120 out of 700 hrs to do


Thank you for the additional information. If you are facing a financial hardship, you could file a motion with the court, asking that the cost of supervision be waived or reduced. The burden would be on you, to show that your income and cost of living, paired with the cost of supervision, is creating a hardship. If the cost of the medical equipment for your hearing is the issue, then you should show the Judge what those monthly expenses are, along with your other basic needs and compare it against your income, to show nothing is left over at the end of the month. As far as the community service, that would be at the discretion of the Judge, based upon the showing of good cause. The Judge is going to want to know why the hours should be reduced and why over the past 5 years, you have only performed 120 hours. Had you performed half ( 350), the Judge may have been inclined to possible reduce them but you are going to need to convince him/her you are physically unable to perform these.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

good this should help get me started but how do i get with the judge ( Probation or Free Legal Attorneys )

You could either file the motion on your own and set it for hearing, so it will go before the Judge or reach out and contact Legal Aid or any Pro Bono attorneys that you may know of, who would be willing to represent you for free. Please let me know if there is anything else. If not, please remember to rate my help with 3, 4 or 5 faces, so I can get credit for my answer. Thank you.
CrimDefense and 7 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you