How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28005
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has did a remodeling job for an attorney in Lubbock

Customer Question

My son has did a remodeling job for an attorney in Lubbock Texas. He did not have a contract just a verbal agreement. He has finished every thing that the lawyer wanted done and now the lawyer will not pay him. He will not return his calls and has no money to hire an attorney to represent him. The attorney knew my son was out on bale from jail. He has done everything possible within the law to get paid. Does he have any options?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. How much is your son owed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

$750.00 for all the work he has done so far. The lawyer said, he would have to paint the outside of the house to get paid. Nothing was mentioned as I was with him when he agreed to do the remodel about painting the outside of the house.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He owes my son 750.00.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Based upon the amount owed, your son could sue him in small claims court to recover. He does not need an attorney and can do this on his own. The fact that this was an oral agreement does not prevent him from filing a lawsuit. It just means since nothing was in writing, it may be harder to prove the terms and conditions of the agreement, since it is his word against your sons. Of course, if you were present and heard what the agreement was, you could testify on behalf of your son, to support his position. It does seem odd that the attorney is now going back and saying he has to paint the outside of the home, which may not fairly represent the cost of the work done. By that, I mean if the $750 was a reasonable amount for the remodeling job, it would certainly seem odd that your son would agree to pay the outside of the home, which would result in him charging next to nothing, for all the work. It is possible that the attorney is trying to take advantage, so if he and your son are unable to reach an agreement, your son would have to sue him to recover and provide evidence of the agreement. The clerk of courts has the forms for him to obtain, to fill out and file, to start the process as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up in regard to the poor service rating and see if there was anything else I can clarify or answer for you. I am here to help and would still like to work with you but unsure as to the basis of your rating. This does have a negative effect on me, so please let me know what else I can do. Thank you.