How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28052
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was sited with a disorderly conduct in New Jersey. This

This answer was rated:

I was sited with a disorderly conduct in New Jersey. This is a first offense I was hoping to get the charged at least reduced to municipal ordinance violation. I was taken down by a bouncer out side a club for backing up into him. I had been drinking but not intoxicated so my reaction was not very fast moving out of his way. they were set on edge by another guy in our group who had been thrown out of the club. If I plee not guilty how do i say i would be happy to take a municipal ordinance violation. Or do i Plee guilty and ask for that?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In a situation like this, you have two options. When you appear, you can ask the prosecutor if they have any type of diversion program that can be offered, that you can enter into, to get the case dismissed or to have the charge amended. If not, then you could ask if they would be willing to amend the charge, if you were willing to take a plea deal, instead of going to trial. If you were to enter a plea of not guilty, the Judge would likely set the matter for trial. As such, you want to ask for an offer and/or the options you have, to get the charge amended or dismissed. If you were to just enter a plea of guilty, the case would be offer. Before doing so, you want to know what you would be getting, which is why you ask for a plea offer and can then change your plea, pursuant to it, if you want to accept it. If not, then you can enter a plea of not guilty and go to trial, making the State prove the charge against you, beyond a reasonable doubt.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CrimDefense and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So when i go in how do I start. ask to speak to the prosecutor or what?


Thanks for the help

If you appear in court early, you can try and speak with the prosecutor about your case. You do not need to make any admissions or talk about the facts but can just ask for any type of diversion program or offer, to get the charge dismissed or reduced. You can tell them you want to keep your record clean and will do what is needed. If you are unable to speak with them ahead of time, then you would wait for your case to be called and when you go before the Judge, he/she will normally read what you are charged and ask the State if they have an offer to resolve this or how you want to proceed. As such, it could be at that time you can ask what I stated above as well, to see what they are willing to do.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!