How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16624
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Grandson is going to a minium security federal detention

Customer Question

My Grandson is going to a minium security federal detention center/prison in Bakersfield California.He was sentenenced for a "white collar"type crime. He is 22 yrs old with2 years of college completed.He is also ADH and may be addictated & have a medical dependancy on Adderall & other Amphetamins.The Judge recomended that he be sent to Lompoc where he could receive proper treatment while serving his sentence. We understand that He must request this transfer. Is this correct and how long do you believe the request will take to be acted upon.

Thank you for your assistance,

Worried and concerned Grandparents.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

I am sorry to hear about your grandson's unfortunate situation.

A transfer request would have to be filed with the Bureau of Prisons and it can take anywhere from 30-90 days or even long in some cases for the transfer request to be approved or denied.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am not happy with this answer the judge told my grandson it should take a few weeks he has stopped his college and wats to get help so he can get back to school ialso asked you if he will be safe in this prison he is not street wise he always went to the best schools and was not around these people.

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Dear Liz,


Thank you for your follow up.


I have provided you with correct and accurate answer and I believe you might not be happy with the procedures related to transfer from one federal detention center to another, which is done by the Federal Bureau of Prisons and I do not have any control over how BOP conducts their business, so please do not be unhappy with me personally and do not hold it against me that the BOP can be slow, however it might be possible for them to transfer your grandson withing few weeks, but also few weeks can mean longer than 30 days in some cases.


Unfortunately, prisons are generally not the safest places in this world, but hopefully because your grandson is in minimum security prison, that would mean that he would not be in the same environment with violent or more serious offenders.


Please understand that I have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even if the answer is not favorable to the customer and I do wish you and your grandson the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Dear Liz,

I have provided you with correct and accurate answer to your question and I understand that the law might not be favorable to your situation, but please do not hold this fact against me personally.

Can you please let me know why you feel my answer was "poor service" (such unfair negative rating does not reflect well on my online expert reputation) and also please let me know what additional information are you seeking at this time or what related follow up questions do you have?

Related Criminal Law Questions