How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Guru Your Own Question
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is in federal prison on a 12 month and one day sentence.

This answer was rated:

My husband is in federal prison on a 12 month and one day sentence. We were told that he would probably only do 9 months. I read something online about the second chance act program. Is there really such program available? If so, how do you qualify and how do I apply for it? Any information you may have on this program would be great.
Welcome to JustAnswer.

Yes, there is. It does not lessen a person's sentence however. The Second Chance Act provides assistance once people are released from incarceration. The assistance can range from substance abuse treatment to employment and/or housing assistance. State and local governments, Indian tribes, and non-profit organizations run programs that are funded by the Second Chance Act. You apply with those agencies for benefits. Here is a link to get you started:

Legal-Guru and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you