How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an old felony on my record ...from 15 years ago. how

This answer was rated:

I have an old felony on my record ...from 15 years ago. how can I get it taken off my record?



I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you information in this regard.


Was this a Texas conviction?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not really tried anything so far. However This charge happened to me when I was 19 years old in the state of Maryland I am now 34 Years old and I'm tired of this charge being held over my head Every time I try to get a job or buy a firearm for hunting and home defense of coarse. it was a wrongly accused felony Assault charge and it has been haunting me since then.



Thank you for the information


You will need to apply for a Governor's pardon. You do that by contacting the Maryland Parole Commission (even though you were never on Parole) and request the Pardon application be mailed out to you. The MPC is the first step as they have the autonomy to review the file and then make a recommendation to the Governor. Of course, the Governor's word is definitive.


Now, I suggest that this is not an over night process. Getting a pardon takes time. There is a waiting list and once you name comes up an investigation is conducted as to your current life and character by interviewing your neighbors, family, friends, employers


I suggest that with the very negative tone here in Maryland toward the ownership of firearms you want to be sure not to make that your main focus of wanting the pardon and expungement. And the Governor has the right to give a partial pardon which would not restore your firearm rights.


Once you get a pardon, then you must Petition the Court of conviction for the expungement. The Pardon will not guarantee the expungement as that is entirely up to the court - but you are not eligible to petition the court without the expungement


Now, here is the contact of the MPC to call for the application and they can verify what I have just stated

Pardon Application

Maryland Parole Commission

XXXXX Suite 307

Baltimore, MDNNN-NN-NNNNbr/>
And you can use this link to read more


Please note that I can only answer what you ask and so if you have more questions or need clarification, please ask it here. Otherwise, I thank you in advance for a positive rating.


Samuel II and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you