How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16720
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If there is a party at a home. there is alcohol and its being

This answer was rated:

If there is a party at a home. there is alcohol and its being consumed by adults 21 and minors 18 19 20.
a complaint is made about noise. Police arrive
A parent is home always.
Who is responsible and what are the penalties.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Was anyone arrested or charged with any crime?

Can you provide me with more information about your situation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No one was arrested, I just had a question about legality. If a party is occurring where alcohol is being consumed and there are both 21 year olds and minors present, what is the home owner (not the son/daughter that is the party host) responsible for.
Also, what is, if anything, the party host responsible for (assume not drinking/21)


The question is way to vague to be answered, as I can write a book about potential liability as it comes to a home owner who is hosting a party and provides alcohol to minors.

Can you please state a specific legal question that you have for me and I will be happy to answer it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If there is a noise complaint, are police allowed to come into the house and start carding and breathalyzing people or are they only allowed to tell us to keep it down and then leave?


Thank you for your follow up.

If excessive noise is reported to the police to be coming out of your house, the police are permitted to go in and to investigate the situation, including checking identifications and administering breathalyser tests to any minors under 21 who appear to be intoxicated.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have related follow up questions.
Alex J. Esq. and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you