Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

What is the possible penalties for a wrongs to minors charge

what is the possible penalties for a wrongs to minors charge in Denver?
JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

Can you provide a few facts to put this into context? Just a couple of sentences.

Customer :

I am charged with wrongs to minors.

JD 1992 :

That is a local ordinance and can mean a lot of different things. What exactly are you accused of doing? It usually seems to come up form leaving a child in a car when it is hot.

Customer :

the child claims I flicked her in the nose causing a mark that remained for three days

JD 1992 :

The possible sentence for a wrong to minor charge in Denver is a possible jail sentence of up to 1 year and/or a fine of up to $999.00.

JD 1992 :

That is the maximum penalty, you could get anything under that or probation.

Customer :

wow, that seems extreme, what if you have a completely clean record forever?

JD 1992 :

It doesn't change the possible penalties.

Customer :

I see, that makes sense. do you know if the courts take that into consideration when sentencing or when applying the charges?

JD 1992 :

They take it into consideration when offering a plea or when doing the sentence.

Customer :

thank you, ***** ***** less apprehensive. One last thing, is the child's word enough to convict if the defendant denies the occurrence?

JD 1992 :

Yes. A child's word is sufficient evidence to convict, although it is pretty easy to overcome with a good lawyer.

Customer :

Thank you, ***** ***** been helpful.

Customer :

I guess I need a good lawyer

JD 1992 :

If you want to beat it you should hire a lawyer. In today's society and with employers doing background checks you should hire a lawyer to at least look and make a run at it. A flick on the nose doesn't deserve this conviction.