Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Im looking for housing. I just ran a background check on myself,

Customer Question
I'm looking for housing. I...
I'm looking for housing. I just ran a background check on myself, and it was horribly wrong. It shows I have FIVE felony convictions in another state that I've never been to. How do I fix this? I'm in Washington State. She is currently on probation in Kentucky. Where I've never been.. The background check shows a picture of a Caucasian woman. I'm black and NOT 262 lbs.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2013
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 4 years ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Was this a criminal background check that you ran through the police dept.?
.
Are the names similar or identical?
.
.
Thanks

No, a friend had a membership with a service called Rentec, and I was curious (really wanted the credit report on her dime). So I ran myself. It ran a National Report.

I will attach it.

Here is the link to the person online: http://kool.corrections.ky.gov/KOOL/Details/48353

We have the same name, but different middle initials. On the report, it shows her mugshot and the last four digits of my social.

I will send you links to the actual report and my ID if that would help you as well..

Let me know.

Okay, wait.. obviously I can't send you a link to my ID.. ...... my brain is going bonkers right now.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, in a situation like this, obviously they have the wrong person. If they have your SSN down on the file as the criminal defendant, this could be a case of identity theft. You would have to contact the company that prepared the report and then file a dispute with them regarding the report. You would need to provide some identifying info such as a copy of your driver's license and birth certificate. Once you do so, they have a legal duty to investigate the dispute and correct any inaccurate information within 30 days.
.
The other option is to send a written challenge to the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services Dept challenging the report. Your written request should clearly identify the information that you feel is inaccurate or incomplete and should include copies of any available proof or supporting documentation to substantiate your claim. In your case, a copy of your birth certificate, SSN, and driver's license should be enough for them. The FBI will contact appropriate agencies in an attempt to verify or correct challenged entries for you. Upon receipt of an official communication from the agency with jurisdiction over the data, the FBI will make appropriate changes and notify you of the outcome.
.

You may submit a Criminal History Summary challenge to the FBI’s CJIS Division by writing to the following address:

FBI CJIS Division
Attention: Criminal History Analysis Team 1

1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

.

For precautionary purposes, I would suggest both contacting the agency that prepared the report as well as filing a dispute with the FBI just to cover both bases.

.

As a side note, it would be a good idea to contact your local police dept to have them run a formal criminal background check to see what shows up in the official records. It may be that it is just the one company that has the incorrect information and that the official FBI records are clear.

.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Thank you! I'm on it!

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law