Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

I received a Urinating in Public ticket as a 19-19A in Scottsdale,

I received a Urinating in Public ticket as a 19-19A in Scottsdale, AZ. I have read that this incident may cause for me to have a misdemeanor and even to be put on the sex offenders list which jeopardizes my engineering career. May I plead not guilty and ask to speak with my prosecutor to receive the minimum sentence as community service and pay fees? Or will that only add more court dates and worsen the situation?

You are referring to section 19-19 of the Scottsdale Revised Code. This section makes public urination a class one misdemeanor and requires a mandatory minimum fine of $150. Additionally, the individual may be required to pay restitution to the city for any associated clean up costs.

.

And yes, as with any case, you may talk to the prosecutor about the resolution of the case. In fact, when charged with relatively minor offense such as this, I of often recommend to individuals to make their first court appearance on their own. They can then talk to the prosecutor about the case, see I they can reach an agreeable resolution and then close out the case. If you are unable to reach a resolution, just continue the case and retain an attorney to help you reach the right result.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do I need to plead not guilty first? or just as to speak with my prosecutor as soon as court starts. How do I go about handling this? Thank you.

You would go to the court appearance and ask to speak with the prosecuting attorney. You would then ask the attorney about what his most lenient offer might be. If that offer is acceptable, you would then resolve the case accordingly. If the offer was not acceptable, you would then enter a plea of not guilty and continue the case to a later date.

.
.
.
.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If an agreement can not be reached and for economical reasons I can not hire an attorney, therefore, pleading guilty. Will I be able to remove such misdemeanor from my record in the future when I do finish my degree and hopefully have a job?

It appears so. According to Arizona law, a person that successfully completes the terms of his sentence may then apply to the judge to have the judgment of guilt set aside.

.

We began this discussion nearly an hour ago and it has grown late. I need to sign off for the evening so that I may prepare my files for my morning court appearances. As have answered your initial question and several follow ups, I'm hopeful I have satisfactorily addressed your concerns. If not, please feel free to send another response and know that I will be back online to reply further. I thank you in advance for your patience.

.
.
.
.