How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my 11 year old was accused of being part of a sexual assault

This answer was rated:

my 11 year old was accused of being part of a sexual assault at the public swimming pool, he witnessed it, told the the police what he saw, the officer went to the pool and told the manager a teacher of my son's what he and the others were being accused of and they were all banned from the pool. My son went to court and was found not guilty...was my son's civil rights violated?

Unfortunately, this likely did not constitute a violation of your son's civil rights. There are a couple problems with finding otherwise.


First, there is no "right" to use a public pool. While the pool may very well be open to the public, the government entity responsible for the pool has the lawful ability to preclude people from using that pool. This ability would be limited primarily by discrimination laws, meaning they could not prevent people from entering based on age, race or ethnicity. However, being accused of a sexual assault would not be protected.


Another problem is that what occurs in criminal court does not necessarily effect what occurs elsewhere. As a good example, you likely recall that OJ Simpson was acquitted in criminal court but still held responsible in civil court. Likewise, an acquittal for your son would not preclude the government from prohibiting him from using the pool.


I regret that my answer is unfavorable, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than a truthful response.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you