How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20401
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was working at a convenience store in WV and ABC did

This answer was rated:

My son was working at a convenience store in WV and ABC did a sting and he unknowingly sold beer to a 19 year old. He was issued a citation. What should be his next step?

Thank you for the information and your question. Is the citation one that he has to make a personal appearance for or can he pay the fine by mail? Did his employer terminate him?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He must appear in person. He was fired. It was in Greenbrier County.
Hello again and thank you for your reply. I would highly recommend that your son consider hiring a local criminal defense attorney to assist him in resolving this citation. That is because if convicted he would the have a misdemeanor conviction that might effect his future employment prospects. In addition. the range of punishment could include a fine of up to $500 and potential jail time, although the latter is very unlikely. An attorney might be able to get the citation dismissed if there was an issue with evidence or how the sting took place, or at the very least, get the punishment reduced to the minimum amount.

Please let me know if you have specific questions I can answer and that I have not addressed. I would be glad to try to address those for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has contacted an attorney that has suggested to plead "not guilty" and get a "Personal Recognizance Bond" and pay a retainer of $1,500. He would appear before the magistrate without an attorney present. Does this sound reasonable?
Yes, for his first appearance, his arraingment, if he does not have an attorney he should definitely plead not guilty. He can always change his plea at the next hearing which would be a pretrial hearing, if he decides to plead guilty. He may not have to pay a bond since he is not currently in custody. However, the court may put one in place. The $1500 is pretty much a standard rate for a case like this, but all attorneys set their own fees, so he could check around if he wants to. He will want to make sure he understands the fee agreement and what he is getting for his money before he gives the attorney any retainer.
Marsha411JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
You're very welcome and best of luck to your son.