How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20228
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I crashed my car last night and spent the night in the hospital.

This answer was rated:

I crashed my car last night and spent the night in the hospital. The police asked me some questions and let me go. Does that mean i was not charged with anything?

Thank you for the information and your question and I hope you are alright. Can you tell me if you had been drinking or doing any sort of drugs or on medication when this occurred? Was there damage to anyone else's (including the State's) property or to another person?What was the nature of the questioning?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Marsha,
The only damage was to my car. I told the police I had a couple beers at dinner. The asked me if I knew that my cars registration had expired which i said I didn't.
Hello again Peter and thank you for your reply. There is a fairly good chance that you will at the very least get a ticket/summons for driver on an expired registration. That is fairly easy to fix by renewing it and taking the proof to court. Many times the judge will dismiss the charge depending on the defendant's prior criminal history. If not, there will be a fine.

The bigger issue here is the possible DUI. The police can get the results of your blood work from the hospital and if it shows you were above the legal limit, then you will receive a summons and charge for a DUI or DWI. Of course at that point you want to hire a local criminal defense attorney who routinely handles DUI's to assist you with your case. They might be able to keep your statements out of evidence and maybe even the blood work. If not, they might get the State to plead you down to a wet and reckless or just decide to plead you not guilty and make the State prove their case. That though will be between you and your attorney.

But to directly answer your question, you can still be charged with the DUI and driving without registration at any time up to when the statute of limitations runs. In Maryland there is, unfortunately, no SOL for misdemeanors that can potentially carry jail time. You can see a summary of potential punishment for a first time DUI or DWI by going to:

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Marsha411JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you