Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If license suspended in CT for dui, but have a florida license,

is license suspended in florida?...
If license suspended in CT for dui, but have a florida license, is license suspended in florida?
5/18/2013
Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Sorry for your situation.

Driver License Compact (DLC) is an interstate compact used by states of the United States to exchange information concerning license suspensions and traffic violations of non-residents and forward them to the state where they are licensed known as the home state. Its theme is One Driver, One License, One Record. The home state would treat the offense as if it had been committed at home, applying home state laws to the out-of-state offense. The action taken would include, but not be limited to, offenses such as speeding, suspension of license or DWI/DUI. It is not supposed to include non-moving violations like parking tickets, tinted windows, loud exhaust, etc. [Wikipedia]

Both Connecticut and Florida are members of the interstate driver's license compact.

Connecticut since 1993 and Florida since 1967.

Moreover, the Driver's License Compact is no longer being pushed and will be replaced by the DLA or Driver's License Agreement over time. There are currently three states that are members of the DLA: Connecticut, Arkansas and Massachusetts.

The Driver License Agreement imposes much tougher fines and penalties against drivers that commit violations covered under the DLA. For example a person driving through a DLA member state that gets stopped for illegally tinted windows, i.e. the window tint is darker than that state allows, but the window tint meets the drivers home state laws for window tinting.

The driver will face fines and penalties from the state where the violation occurred and will have to remove the window tint from the vehicle when the driver returns to their home state to meet the state laws where the violation occurred even though the driver has left the state where the violation occurred.

So, regretfully if you are convicted of a DUI in Connecticut they will notice Florida and your license will be suspended as per Florida law.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know…

You can always ask for me in your question, “This question is for Law Pro . . (then on with your question) . . . .

Please press the Accept Button(and the Smiley Face if prompted :) if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you.
I have not heard anything from the state of florida regarding this offense. Will they inform me? This occured in CT on December 17, 2012 and Iam eligible to reinstat my license in Ct on June 19, 2013. Will the time be over here in Florida also on June 17, 2013.

I have been driving in Florida because if have not heard anything from this state. Am i breaking the law.
First, FL must contact you as to the violation and give you notice of their sanctions before they do anything.

So you are not in violation or doing anything wrong until and unless you hear from FL as to the CT offense.

Second, since this happened so long ago - Dec 2012 - maybe this has slipped through the "cracks" in FL or CT hasn't noticed FL of the matter.

Other member states are suppose to report any traffic convictions, license suspensions and revocations to Florida, whereby Florida is required to then treat your out-of state traffic offense as if committed within its own borders.

However, sometimes they don't - errors and mistakes happen with the DLC. Most states are mostly worried about their own drivers and not those of another state. If they don't notice and you don't hear from FL and you can reinstate my license in Ct on June 19, 2013 - then do so asap at that time and maybe the event won't ever get to FL.

You may very well be one of the "lucky" ones. It happens sometimes.

Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
The court ordered accelerated rehabilitation as there was also a felony involed. I have to get a certified record off the driing history here in Florida and CT to be accepted to the program in New hampshire.
Will asking for my driving record in Florida blow whistles here.
No, because if CT hasn't reported the matter to them - it won't red flag anything.

You should be safe - asking for a certified driving record won't cause a problem.
Will Florida Motor Vehicles ask questions as to why I want a certified Driving record? If so, do I have to answer them?

Also, When the suspension ends in CT on June 17, is it possible that Fl would enstate their own 6 month suspension period? Or is it just over in all states.

No, they won't ask. Many people ask for a copy of their driving record for many things - employment and insurance for example. You don't need to inform them why either (but they won't ask either).

It should be over if the CT suspension is over. FL would have immediately noticed you of the suspension. The reality is - your license was never suspended.
Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer