AttyCBradford
AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Defense and Family law Attorney serving California statewide
66829710

My daughter was academically dismissed from college. She was

My daughter was academically dismissed from college. She was living in a dorm on campus at the time, receiving financial aid. Because of the dismissal, she was not allowed to stay in the dorm nor does she have any money (financial aid was suspended at the same time). However, the college is charging her $3000+ for room and board for the quarter she is not allowed to attend. Can they do that?

AttyCBradford :

Hello I am sorry to hear about your daughter's situation. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that it truly depends on each college. If it is in the policy when she originally signed up for room and board that "no exceptions and/or adjustments will be made to room and board for a student who is suspended, dismissed, expelled, or asked to leave the College for any reason," or something to that same effect then yes they can. However, if they have a clause in there that states that room and board WILL be adjustment for a student who has been suspended, dismissed, expelled, or asked to leave the College then they may not

AttyCBradford :

My advice would be to go to the college's website, and under Tuition and Fees read the fine print as to what they can and cannot do when a student is dismissed

AttyCBradford :

If I have answered all of your questions please press accept and provide positive feedback so I will get credit for assisting you. If not and you have additional answers please do not hesitate to ask and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you and I wish you the best in your situation!

Customer:

There is a clause that states:

Customer:

1. "Students terminating their contract for the reasons provided in this subsection will only be charged up to the date they complete a proper check out (as outlined in 1.h). Students will not be responsible for the fees detailed in Section 17 above if the student can demonstrate one of the following criteria: Severe financial hardship

Customer:

Since she has no financial aid to pay for it now and has $18 in her bank account and a 10-hour per month job, doesn't that qualify as "severe financial hardship"?

AttyCBradford :

The problem is that she is NOT terminating the contract the school is. I am not sure if you are reading the correct section in the contract. You are correct that would be a severe financial hardship as well. I would check and see if there is a clause under the room and board about what happens when a student has been academically dismissed. Since she is no longer living in the dorm and odds are another student is they shouldn't be going after her as wel tHis would be a double recovery

AttyCBradford :

If I have answered all of your questions please press accept and provide positive feedback so I will get credit for assisting you. If not and you have additional answers please do not hesitate to ask and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you and I wish you the best in your situation

AttyCBradford :

Please do not forget to accept the answer as this is the only way that we get credit for work. If you have additional questions please do not hesitate to ask