Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

This is in Wisconsin and now I just remembered that me and

my little brother got into...
This is in Wisconsin and now I just remembered that me and my little brother got into a fight a little while ago and we were charged with 947.01- DA, Disorderly Conduct - Domestic Abuse Reladed. Will this also bar me from owning or carrying open or concealed of a firearm. Handgun, shotgun, or rifle.
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/15/2013
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

yes

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Thank you

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, conviction for any crime related to domestic violence would permanently ban you from any ownership, possession or use of any firearm.

Alex Esquire :

I am sorry to deliver this unpleasant news to you, but the federal law is very clear on this and if the law is violated, it would subject someone convicted of domestic violence to a mandatory 5 years in federal prison.

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

Ok is there anyway to get this right back?

Alex Esquire :

I noticed you tried to rate my answer.

Alex Esquire :

What was your rating?

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer: yes my computer is not cooperating i am on a laptop and keep accidentaly moving the mouse
Customer: So 1. how do i get this right back. is there a time limit on this?
Alex Esquire :

Well, the only way to get your rights restored under the current law is to file petition for a full pardon with the Governor's office.

Alex Esquire :

If your petition is granted and a full pardon is issued, then your firearms rights would be restored.

Customer: Would I have to file another petition for a adjudicated minor record also?
Alex Esquire :

no

Alex Esquire :

not if you have already filed one and it was granted.

Customer: So if the Governor gave me a full pardon I would be able to own posses and carry a firearm. Even though I have an adjudicated juvenile record and this DC
Alex Esquire :

What was your adjudicated juvenile record for ?

Customer: what would have been a felony if I was an adult.
Alex Esquire :

Did the conviction happen in juvenile court?

Customer: Yes
Alex Esquire :

then it would not be considered a conviction for the purposes of federal firearms ban.

Alex Esquire :

Customer: How do I file a pardon from the governors office?
Customer: Is this something I can do on my own or do I need to hire an attorney
Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Customer: No sir
Alex Esquire :

It would be a very good idea to consult and retain a local pardon law attorney to represent you in this process, as you do want to be able to have the highest possibility of success and the local attorney can make sure that the petition is completed and filed correctly and can further represent you in the process.

Customer: Thank you for your time
Customer: Ok thank you I will rate you now.
Alex Esquire :

Thank you and please click on the "Excellent Service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required. I wish you all the best.

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law