Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How do I receive pro bono help for a friend of mine who is

fighting a felony probation violation...
How do I receive pro bono help for a friend of mine who is fighting a felony probation violation and has only heard from his PB twice in eight months?
5/14/2013
Roger, Lawyer
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I'm certainly sorry for your friend's situation.

If your friend can't afford an attorney, the judge should appoint him a public defender to handle his case. He could also contact the California State Bar Assn. and ask for assistance finding a pro bono attorney in his area to assist him with this.

Either of these options should get him some legal representation for this probation issue.
Roger, Lawyer

I had indicated that he has gone through two pds
already. Although I should have spelled it out I feel that an experienced attorney would have figured out what I meant. I don't feel that the answer was worth the $30 but I will pay it so that you arent out any credit. Just won't use the service anymore.

Your post says "PB", which I interpreted as probation officer - not public defender. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

Had you said PD, I would have understood that to be a public defender.

"PO" is Probation Officer. I substituted "PB" accidentally instead of "PD". My bad.

My question is, Wouldn't you wonder what PB meant? Why would anyone use to letters to signify one word? Again my fault but not a typo that should cost me $30 and not have the question answered.

Hi - I'm familiar with the acronyms - I've been a prosecutor for 10 years. I just assumed - which is a bad thing - that's what you meant.

Nevertheless, the answer is no different. If your friend can't afford an attorney, finding a pro bono criminal law attorney is the only option other than seeking another public defender.

But, you certainly don't have to pay if you don't want to. That's up to you.
Again, I'm sorry for the confusion - - I hope your friend can get the help he's entitled to.
Roger, Lawyer