How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I go about trying to have a criminal case reopened?

This answer was rated:

How do I go about trying to have a criminal case reopened? Is that possible?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I didn't go and speak with the DA about my husband that was charged with child abuse recklessly cause great harm because I have been not my self for a long time... My husband has lied to me and I have been believing him for so long. I have been on medication and my head is starting to be less foggy and clear but now that this case has been dismissed I was told nothing can be done and it is all my fault for not going to speak with him... I have a lot I would like to tell him what should I do?

Dear XXXXXifer,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what to do, as such specific instructions would constitute legal advice which can only be provided by your local attorney upon the full review of your situation, but I can provide you with general answer to your question.

Was your husband's criminal case dismissed or was he tried and acquitted at trial?

How long ago was the case closed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was dismissed and it was closed 04-29-2013

Dear XXXXXifer,

Did you contact the DA office and advised them that of your situation and the fact that you would be willing to cooperate if the case was reopened and the criminal charges would be filed again / reinstated against your husband?

If you did, what was the DA's response?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I will do that tomorrow I did call yesterday but I just talked to the clerk and I didn't think to ask if it could be reopened ...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is that something they can do? Can it be reopened?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you still there?


Thank you for your follow up.

In Wisconsin misdemeanors can be prosecuted for up to 3 years from the time alleged crime took place and felonies for up to 6 years from the time the alleged crime took place.

So you can contact the DA's office and if the state finds sufficient evidence and legal grounds to prosecute your husband criminally, the state can file re-open his criminal case and reinstate criminal charges against your husband, as long as it has not been longer than 3 years for a misdemeanor or 6 years for a felony.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you