Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Can i get a petit larceny charge off my record

5/13/2013
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Every state has different expungement rules. Some are much more liberal than others. Virginia, is not very generous with their expungement policy, however you are in luck. They will expunge a first conviction if it is a misdemeanor, which yours is. You can read the expungement law of your state here.

You will need to prepare a writ, which is a substantive and complicated process. Though technically you would not need a lawyer for an expungement, you are better off in Virginia if you use one, as there are no forms available on line for this type of an expungement.

Contact the Virginia Bar Association's Lawyer REferral Service if you need to find yourself a lawyer to get this done.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD