Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was prescribed 1mg klonopin for General Anxiety Disorder

and while the dr. stepped...
I was prescribed 1mg klonopin for General Anxiety Disorder and while the dr. stepped out of his office, I stole an extra prescription sheet and made it out for something that was not prescribed by my psychiatrist. I have had an undesignated felony in which the charge was an "Electronic Transaction For Narcotic Purchase." This charge was dropped to a misdemeanor upon completion of probation. I live in Phoenix, Arizona... should I be expecting the police to come after me for this sort of illegal action?
5/2/2013
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful.

Did you ever attempt to fill the prescription you took?

How long ago was the prescription sheet taken?

Thank you.

JudgeLaw

I did attempt to fill the prescription and it was two days ago on the 30th. The pharmacist said that the one I attempted to fill was not authorized and the klonopin that I was actually prescribed had been voided.

Thank you for the additional information.

If the incident was reported to the police you would have heard by now.

Have you been contacted by the doctor? Do you have any more appointments scheduled?

Thank you.

JudgeLaw

I have not heard from the Dr. and I have an appointment with him on the 21st but that was before all this happened. So I'm assuming he won't see me again since he voided the script that was actually given to me (klonopin). I tried calling the office multiple times with no answer and usually they answer the first time I call which I found to be a bit weird.

Thank you.

Do not admit to anything. If contacted by the police, which is still possible, do not speak to them without an attorney. You can only hurt your case.

Cancel the appointment with the doctor and do not go back. Do not try to apologize to the doctor.

The pharmacist likely became suspicious and called the doctor.

I realize this is distressing for you, but there is really nothing you can do right now but wait. No one will come busting down your door. If anything, you would be contacted by telephone and asked to come in for questioning. The more time that passes, the less likely anything will happen.

I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw

Should I just not show up and pay the $35 no show fee, or should I call them to cancel the appointement?

Thank you for following up.

Call and cancel your appointment. Do not give a reason. If the doctor wishes to speak to you when you call, just say you will have to call back. Do not call back. Do not speak with the doctor.

JudgeLaw

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just extremely worried about all this and I know I made a huge mistake. Not only that but one thing I left out is that I did actually do this once before, about a month or so prior, and the doctor called me right away telling me to find another psychiatrist, but this time it's been three days with no word from the doctor and has me a bit worried.

No apology necessary. I completely understand your concern.

I think if you cancel your follow up appointment the doctor will wash his hands of the matter. Try not to work yourself up. I realize that is difficult, but there is nothing to do and I really do think you would have been contacted if anything was going to happen.

JudgeLaw
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name - JudgeLaw

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.
Loren, Lawyer