How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I was in a marriage with a husband who repeatedly raped

This answer was rated:

Hi, I was in a marriage with a husband who repeatedly raped me and on one specific day Jan 27 2008 he gave me pills, alcohol and a hallucinogenic alcohol called absinthe. He caused me to overdose, nearly killing me and he also raped me. He put me in the shower and I came to and begged him to take me to the hospital but he said that if I was going to die that I would die there. I kept throwing up and passing out and he would rape me over and over. By the next morning he left me for 3 days to "sleep it off". This was just 5 days after the actor heath Ledger died from an overdose and my ex stated during those days that he wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened to me. Many of the medications that he gave me were the same ones that Heath Ledger took. I left him with my 2 minor children in July 2009 and we finalized our divorce July 2010. Do I have any recourse to have criminal charges brought against him now or is it too late? I am certain of the date that this happened because it was my father's birthday.
Thank you for you question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

There is no statute of limitations for a capital or life sentence offense under FL law, as long as the offense happened in FL (if it did not happen in FL, it cannot be prosecuted in FL and has to be prosecuted in the state where it occurred). Thus, you can bring your case to the DA for review. Unfortunately, because so much time has passed, you will need to provide evidence somehow that this rape and drugging occurred in order for them to take the case for prosecution.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you