Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

In 1995 I plead guilty to a (Simple Assault in Atlanta Ga),

In 1995 I plead guilty to a (Simple Assault in Atlanta Ga), Dropped from Domestic battery. I served no time and was allowed to serve probation out of Georgia in my then home state of Indiana. I have no other conviction record and am now 41 living in Nevada. I purchased a 20 ga shotgun in december 2012 after a background check. And was contacted by the ATF yesterday being told I was unlawfully in possession of the gun. I sold the gun today to a local sporting goods store. Notified the ATF of the disposal of the gun. They say I am now in the clear. The gun shop faxed a request of denial to the ATF on my behalf to find out more. I am looking for a Georgia attorney to help me regain my firearms rights. David E [email protected]
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working to provide you the information you are seeking.

Under 18, USC, 922(g)(9), the Lautenberg Amendment, those CONVICTED of a crime of domestic violence are prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms. In order to clear this matter up, you will need to get a true copy of the conviction from the clerk of the court where the conviction took place showing that the conviction was not for a domestic violence crime (since it is likely still showing the original domestic violence battery in the computer) and you need to submit that with an appeal to the FBI NICS following the procedure located at FBI Firearms Rights Appeals. You do not need an attorney to conduct the appeals procedure.

If this appeal is denied, then you would have to try to qualify for an expunction in GA under the new law O.C.G.A. 16-13-32, proving that you were sentenced under the conditional discharge provisions, which would require then hiring an attorney in GA and researching the terms of your conviction deal. However, if you prove your conviction was not for domestic violence, most times the FBI will correct the matter and you will be able to purchase firearms again.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”