How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4498
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If i am charged with slicing

This answer was rated:

If i am charged with slicing a prostitute in multnomah county Oregon first offense but have a sex offense record that is 14 years old in another state what can i expect from sentencing, am i still eligible for John school?

Patronizing a prostitute is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and/or a fine.

John school is for first offenders only as a diversion program. It is possible you might get offered it if for some reason the prosecutor does not pick up on your prior conviction, but technically you are not eligible because of the prior. You can still be sent to john school as part of a sentence, but you would still have a conviction. Given that your last offense was so long ago, even if you are not allowed to go to john school as a diversion program that would not end in a conviction it is likely that the worst sentence you get would be probation with some conditions attached (i.e. such as completing john school, doing community service, and/or paying a fine).
Hammer O'Justice and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

are out of state convictions readily available to prosecuter?

Yes...prosecutors and police have access to the national criminal information database. You may luck out if they don't run your out of state record, but it is not a question of access because they have that.
Hammer O'Justice and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if the previous conviction was serious do you still feel iwont have jail time

Obviously I can't make any guarantees because it depends on the prosecutor and the judge, but since this offense is fairly minor and the previous one took place so long ago, jail time seems unlikely. I would still recommend hiring an attorney or applying for the public defender if you can't afford an attorney because it is always a good idea to have someone to protect your rights and to negotiate a plea deal on your behalf because the penalty does carry the possibility of jail time.