Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Our tenant called today to say that I had a notice to appear

Our tenant called today to say that I had a notice to appear from the local court. Code enforcement gave them two notices to put a lid on the trash can. The third time was the misdemeanor and notice of appearance/arraignment for me. It really seems silly that it is this serious. Can I be held responsible for this?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you are not residing in the same property, the court is not in most all cases going to find you guilty of a criminal misdemeanor for this, especially if you argue you make periodic checks of the property to try to prevent such violations. However, the landowner is responsible for code violations on their property and the tenant violating the codes is grounds for you to evict the tenant from the premises and also to charge the tenant for any costs you incur from your tenant's violations.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”